Student Preparing for President’s Day

A statue of George Washington at the American History Mueseum in Washington D.C.

Magdelaine Mueller, Reporter

After an eventful month with Donald J. Trump becoming president, students are preparing for their day off of school in honor of President’s Day.

Several students, although they are excited for the day off, are unaware of the origin of President’s Day.

“Isn’t it like, George Washington and Abraham Lincoln’s birthdays combined or something?” senior Gabi Frerking said.

President’s Day, which was originally called “Washington’s Birthday” in 1885, became a federal holiday in 1971 when it became a part of the Uniform Monday Holiday Act. The holiday now honors all of the past and present presidents of America.

“I think it is important that students know why we’re taking time off [of school] on President’s Day. If they don’t, then we are just getting a free day [off of school],” senior Taylor Marshall said.

Many students do not see the purpose of celebrating President’s Day or taking the day off of school.

“We don’t do anything as a nation to celebrate [President’s Day] and I feel like a lot of students don’t really know what it is [about],” senior Mason Simmons said.

Other students agree with Simmons.

“It’s not like we have celebrations, it’s not like it’s the 4th of July, we just say thanks to a couple of presidents and move on,” Senior Jordan Myers said.

With some students left in confusion as to why we celebrate President’s Day away from school, Marshall thinks we should teach students why we should appreciate the holiday.

“It is important to not only celebrate the good presidents we’ve had, but also the strives we have made since 1776,” Marshall said.

Student Preparing for President’s Day