Choir Collaborates for this Years Masterworks Concert

Two paintings created by Painting 2 class.

Isabel Halweg, Reporter

On February 21, 2017 choir, orchestra, and painting II class collaborated on this year’s masterworks concert. Every year choir holds a master works concert. They make an effort to collaborate with other departments to enhance the songs they are singing. This year they were preforming Antonio Vivaldi’s Gloria.

“Most of the music we do is modern but we like to reach back to give students more experience and prevent culture shock for when they get to college,” Choir Director Nathan Cornelius said.

Painting teacher Holli Dunn’s Painting II class participated this year by contributing art relevant to the Baroque time period. Before they started working they listened to a prerecorded rendition of Gloria in order to inspire ideas for their paintings.

“The class listened to the music then focused on the symbolism in the music,” Dunn said.

The concert was advertised at the school, on social media, on the radio and in the newspaper. Over 700 tickets were sold and several were given away to academic professors from surrounding colleges. This allowed the professors to scout for talented students that will be graduating soon.

Proceeds usually go to funding the music department. This year orchestra and choir donated $1,200 dollars to Autumn Pilarski for medical bills.

The concert was held in the new performing arts center. Dunn’s Painting II class set up their artwork and the entrance so that the audience could observe it on the way in and out of the center. After the program students got to take there pieces home. Over the concert went off without any problems.