Competing in the name of Science

The last gathering of the Science Olympiad club before their district competition on April 25th.

Tyler Frey, Sports Editor

The Science Olympiad team went to a competition on February 25th. This competition started at roughly 7:30 in the morning on the Missouri State campus. This was the district event for this club and needed to qualify to advance to compete at a state level.

The Science Olympiad events consisted of several written tests and engineering tests. The written tests involved subjects like rock identification and detecting different types of diseases. The engineering included events consisting of building hovercrafts and even robot arms.

Kickapoo represented loud and proud, coming away with both of their teams placing in the top ten schools. The Gold team got 4th place overall at the competition and is moving on to the state competition. In addition to the Gold team, members from the second team will tag along at state with the Gold team.

Individual winners included senior Bailey Dorey, who placed first in an event called “Dynamic Planet”. Along with Dorey, the team of seniors, Sam Becker and Paul Parrish, placed first in an event called “Chem Lab” to add to the resume of the whole club. Becker, who helped place first, has been a fan of Science Olympiad since joining the club at the start of the year.

“This is my first year of Science Olympiad, and my friend convinced me to do it. I’ve always had an interest in the sciences department. I definitely see myself ending up in a STEM career whether it be something like engineering, astronomy, or chemistry,” Becker said.

The next stop will be Westminister college in Fulton, Missouri where state takes place. April 8th will be the date of competition, and if there are any members that qualify, will advance to nationals on May 19th. Nationals will take place at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio.

Competing in the name of Science