The Stillwater Stinger

Cardinals say Goodbye to Matt Holliday

Matt Holliday drives in teammate Stephen Piscotty with a single in the first inning against the Cubs. The 2015 NLDS was one of Holliday’s best hitting performances. Photo Courtesy of MCT Direct.

TNS

TNS

Tyler Frey, Sports Editor

Matt Holliday was drafted at 18 by the Colorado Rockies. The future seven time all-star attended a small high school in Stillwater, Oklahoma and never went to college. Holliday obtained the nickname “The Stillwater Stinger” from his fantastic hitting abilities for all three of the teams he has played for thus far.

Holliday began his career in Colorado and played there until 2008. Afterward, Holliday was traded to the Oakland Athletics in 2009 and spent the season playing for the A’s. With his short term deal with the A’s ending, the young slugger decided to go into the free agent market of the MLB. The 28 year old was searching for a big deal and eventually found one with the St. Louis Cardinals. A seven year deal with the Cards with over 120 million attached was enough to do it for the young all-star. A deal that would give him a place to play until 2016, or 2017, with team option.

With the team option, the Cardinals are the ones who decide if they want Holliday to play yet another year in St. Louis. Despite the stellar performance of Holliday, including contributing toward a World Series championship, the Cardinals came to a decision to not sign Holliday in 2017. The team is parting ways with Holliday because the veteran isn’t producing all around performance like he has in his past.

“I’m eternally thankful for the Lord bringing me to the city of St. Louis in August of 2008. Lots of cool stuff has happened since then,” Holliday said in the post interview after he was released. Matt talked about him and his family being blessed to have the opportunity he was given in his speech after he found out he was being released from the team.

In Holliday’s last game, manager Mike Matheny decided to put the veteran in the game in the seventh inning on September 30. In picture perfect fashion, number seven launched a home run into the right-center field crowd and rounded the bases for the final time as a Cardinal. Awaited by teammates filled with emotions, Holliday walked into the dugout greeted with hugs and high fives.

However, this may not be the end for Holliday. The outfielder is not considered too old just yet. If another team in the MLB is desperate for a hitter, he is currently available to any team. But, if no team picks him up, it is very likely Holliday will end his career and go into retirement.

With almost 300 home runs, and over 1,000 RBI’s in his career, there is nothing to be ashamed about. And the Stillwater Slugger will absolutely go down as one of the top Cardinals players of all time, according to statistics. And with several championship wins, and even a World Series title under his belt, Holliday will be remembered not only in the MLB community, but especially in the city of St. Louis.

The Stillwater Stinger