Sutton’s Room Gets a Makeover

Griffith said that the new set up of the class is comfortable and it doesn’t make using the computers awkward.

Isabel Halweg, Reporter

Communication Arts teacher Danielle Sutton  applied for a grant from the state board of education to redecorate her room with comfy furniture and other décor. At first she was not selected to receive the grant, but the English department gave her 500 dollars to go through with her room renovation. To Sutton’s surprise she was given the grant anyway after some time for 1,500 dollars.

“Flexible seating is something I thought was worth giving a shot, because I think it could really help engage students,” Sutton said.

Sutton let her students decide how to decorate the room. Each class picked how they wanted it set up, and then they all voted on the best idea. Her room is set up like a living room with couches, coffee tables, and lamps. She also has beanbag chairs and pillows on the floor. For students who don’t like the new setting she still has normal classroom tables for them to use.

“I wanted to provide a variety of seating to meet all students’ needs,” Sutton said.

Studies from Concordia University show that children learn faster and better when they are in a relaxed setting. Studies were done in all age groups with the same results. Students in the relaxed classrooms retained more information and were more creative with ideas and problem solving. This is why some schools and teachers are trying to make their classes more laid-back.

“When we’re comfortable we’re more relaxed and it helps us learn better,” Junior Courtney Griffith said.

Sutton’s Room Gets a Makeover