Obscure Electives

Several off-the-beaten-path classes are available. Teachers who have classes with few sign-ups are looking for more students.

Diana Dudenhoeffer, News Editor

JESS LOUDIS 

APPLIED ART

“If you’re more of a hands-on, process-oriented artist, Applied Art is for you.  We do printmaking, cultural art and not-your-grandmother’s embroidery,” Loudis said.

She added that applied art consists of everything that doesn’t fit into just painting or just ceramics.

LORI CORBETT

AP WORLD HISTORY

“AP World History goes really fast because we cover a lot of material from the beginning of history to the present.  It is for the student who wants college credit and wants to know what a college class is like,” Corbett said.  The class gives students 6 dual credit hours at MSU.  “The class fills in the holes that sophomore World History class didn’t have time to cover.”

HAYLEY FRASER

CONTEMPORARY LITERATURE

Contemporary Literature is a class for juniors and seniors, and they read books about growing up, exploring cultural identity, and historical fiction.

“Our goal in Contemporary Lit is to read books published after the year 2000 and discuss contemporary issues in our lives connected to these stories,” Fraser said.

Through reading, she explains, “it gives students a perspective of acceptance and tolerance towards people who live differently than us.”

MATT McMILLIN 

SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT MARKETING

Students who liked Marketing One are highly encouraged to take Sports and Entertainment Marketing.  “It’s a great opportunity to explore careers within the industry.  Hospitality, wedding planning and other service careers are involved.  It’s not just about sports,”  McMillin said.

CARA POSEGATE 

BUSINESS LAW

“Business Law is a great class for those who are interested in business as a career and/or law itself.  The basics of everyday law concerning buying and selling, entering into contracts, business crimes, computer crimes, torts, functions of courts and many other areas of life are emphasized.”

JARED WOODERSON 

ENTREPRENEURSHIP

“The class is for anybody who wants to start their own business or who has a good idea.  It’s great for people who love Shark Tank,” Wooderson said.

The class is project-based and is centered around a business idea, concept or invention.    

Entrepreneurship students learn broad business skills and concepts, as well as what it takes to start a new business.

Obscure Electives