KHQ Today

KHQ Today

What Do Students Think of ALEKS?

88% (175 out of 200) of students said that the use of ALEKS in math classes did not benefit their learning experience.

Jack Stobbe, Sports Editor

The implementation of chromebooks into the learning curriculum has led to a heavier reliance on the learning system called ALEKS in math classes, and the student body is vehemently against it.

ALEKS (Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Faces), “Is a Web-based, artificially intelligent assessment and learning system that uses adaptive questioning to quickly and accurately determine exactly what a student knows and doesn’t know in a course,” according to their website.

There are numerous things wrong with the entire process, however that makes the website frustrating and tedious to use.

When you first begin to use the program, you are forced to complete a “knowledge check” that is supposed to measure a students’ knowledge on the intended subject, and then you are given topics to work on based off of how well you do on the knowledge check. However, this means every student is beginning at a different starting point, and everyone is working on something different.

So if a student does too well on the initial knowledge check, you will soon run into topics that are becoming too advanced. If a student does poorly on it, they are working on easier topics that might be behind the level at which they should be learning at.

For senior Matthew Garnier, one of the most frustrating parts about using ALEKS is how it difficult it can be to move forward at some points.

“If you get stuck on one topic it’s impossible to move forward because you can’t skip them. Sometimes you have to get past a topic to unlock the other topics we need to do, so if you get stuck on that topic, you can’t keep going,” Garnier said.

Another one of the most frustrating part of using ALEKS is how you have to complete a topic, which Garnier says can be a nuisance.

“You have to get three question right to advance past a topic, so it’s annoying when you get one wrong and it takes away one of your right answers,” Garnier said.

Junior Grace Oneal also uses ALEKS on a weekly basis, and has her issues with it as well.

“I dislike using the program because I feel like I’m just doing busy work. None of the topics we are given help me learn the material,” Oneal said.

Oneal also feels that the increased use in ALEKS has led to her struggling more in her Trigonometry class.

“I feel like I’m behind in the class. I liked it much better when I didn’t have to do ALEKS every week and I feel like my grade was better too,” Oneal said.

A survey was conducted to see what the entire school thought of ALEKS, and the results showed that the majority of the school doesn’t like using ALEKS either.

Out of 200 students surveyed, 89% of students said they had previously used ALEKS. However, almost the same number of people, 88% of people surveyed, said that the use of ALEKS did not benefit their learning experience.

If so many students agree that ALEKS isn’t helping them learn math, why should it be a part of the curriculum? Something needs to be done, whether that is reducing the use of ALEKS in math classes or removing it altogether, to help alleviate the problems it is causing students in the classroom.

• What Do Students Think of ALEKS?

Feature

Student Art Featured at Springfield Art Museum

• Feature

Best Friend Quarterly

• What Do Students Think of ALEKS?

Feature

Kelli’s Cars of the Quarter

• What Do Students Think of ALEKS?

Feature

Veganism is Life

• What Do Students Think of ALEKS?

Feature

The Reality of Starting a Family in High School

• Feature

Tattoos Of Kickapoo

• What Do Students Think of ALEKS?

Feature

Cars of the Quarter: Issue Three

• What Do Students Think of ALEKS?

Feature

• What Do Students Think of ALEKS?

Feature

Students Share Backpack Contents

• Feature

Touchy Subjects

What Do Students Think of ALEKS?