KHQ TODAY

Student Art Featured at Springfield Art Museum

Diana Dudenhoeffer, News Editor

AMBER BURNETT (12)

“BOWL OF DOUBT”

CERAMIC BOWL

“This is the best thing I’ve ever thrown.  In fact, when I went to glaze it, Mr. Blackburn thought it was his bowl that he used for demonstrations, and it didn’t help that I didn’t have my name on it.  When I heard it was going to be featured at the art museum, I wanted to name it ‘The Bowl That My Teacher Thought Was Too Good to be Mine.’ We decided that name was too long, so we just went with ‘The Bowl of Doubt’.  Mr. Blackburn is still skeptical that I made it.”

MAKAYLA MAXHEIMER (11)
“INTO THE UNKNOWN”
DIGITAL PRINT
“For this piece, I really wanted to do something that meant a lot to me.  At the time, I was really into this show called Over the Garden Wall.  The show helped me bond with my friends.  The show is very light and fluffy, and I wanted to be able to show that as well as how I was feeling at the time, with dark shadowy figures and the lantern.”

NATALIE GATES (9)
“ENVY”
MIXED MEDIA
“Hateful desire and envy are themes in this piece.  The outstretched hand represents a longing or desire for something more.  Snakes have always represented envy in my own mind, so I shaded them to show the dangerous side of that emotion.  And the old authors in the top right are covered in string to represent them being caged in.”

SCOTLYN BELEW (11)

“DUALITY”

INK ON PAPER

“When I was in middle school, I did lots of landscape drawings.  In my art foundations class, we had an assignment to create a line weaving.  I was inspired by my previous work, and I wanted to continue with what I always do.”

LAUREN PERRIMAN (10)

“VINTAGE SERIES”

PHOTOGRAPHY

“We had to do a theme in Photography One, and I picked vintage as my theme.  It’s interesting to see the items that were used in the past because we often lose sight of them because of technology.  Since Mr. DeClue teaches and knows a lot about photography, it feels good to hear that he likes my theme and the way I shot it.”

DALLIN FORSYTH (12)
“INSPIRATION”
PHOTOGRAPHY

“I definitely played around with this picture so that you could see the milky way.  My friend TJ Cirillo is looking off into the distance so you can kind of interpret the picture for yourself.  This was a really good shoot.”

OLIVIA HALL (11)

LA MESA STUDY”

CERAMIC SET

“This was the first wheel-throwing project for my ceramics 2 class. The project was based on “La Mesa,” an art show for professional artists to make sets for display as a place setting all on one super long table. I’m proud of the set, and it turned out better than I thought. I’m good at throwing, but you never know how the glaze will turn out.  I could eat off of it if I want, but I’m not sure what I’ll to with it yet.”

LAUREN SPILMAN (12)

“TIMELESS”

PHOTOGRAPHY

“This was for a portfolio project, and the prompt was “community.”  It’s supposed to be a commentary on older generations using technology in a good way with curiosity and not just ‘oh, you young people with your technology! Back in my day, all we had was sticks!’  It was really fun to shoot and my model, Ana, had a lot of fun, too.”

About the Writer
  • Student Art Featured at Springfield Art Museum

Feature

Q&A With Dr. Powers

• Feature

Student Council

• Feature

Best Friend Quarterly

Feature

Kelli’s Cars of the Quarter

Feature

Veganism is Life

Feature

The Reality of Starting a Family in High School

• Feature

Tattoos Of Kickapoo

Feature

Cars of the Quarter: Issue Three

Feature

Feature

Students Share Backpack Contents

Kickapoo High Quarterly