The Mumps Appear in SPS

The+mumps+vaccine%2C++while+very+effective+in+preventing+contraction+of+the+disease%2C+does+not+guarantee+immunity.+Photo+courtesy+Magdelaine+Mueller++
The mumps vaccine,  while very effective in preventing contraction of the disease, does not guarantee immunity. Photo courtesy Magdelaine Mueller

The mumps vaccine, while very effective in preventing contraction of the disease, does not guarantee immunity. Photo courtesy Magdelaine Mueller

Garrett Peck, Reporter

Springfield Public Schools has announced that there are five confirmed cases of the mumps in Springfield schools.

According to the Center for Disease Control mumps is a disease caused by a virus. It is spread through saliva and through mucus from the mouth, nose, or throat.

Symptoms typically appear 16-18 days after transmission but can range from appear any where from 12-25 days. The symptoms include fever loss of appetite, muscle aches, headaches, and swollen and tender salivary glands which are located underneath the ears.

According to the Springfield News Leader the students infected with mumps have been vaccinated, meaning that this is a strain of the mumps virus that is not affected by the vaccine. According to the CDC mumps cases in communities like Springfield tend to be very limited in size, duration, and spread. According to Nurse Kimberly Speake The most important things to keep in mind to stop the spread of the mumps is,

“Get vaccinated, it is spread by droplets so cover your mouth and wash your hands, and stay home if you are sick,” said nurse Kimberly Speake.  

The Mumps Appear in SPS