What Students Are Supposed To Do in an Emergency

The nurse call button is located at the second button of the second row of the dial pad.

Isabel Halweg, Reporter

Time stops and students stare on in silence. This was the case when a sub for ceramics fell off their stool last year. Thankfully the teacher was okay but none of the students really knew what they should do. According to protocol if someone is injured then a person should use the nurse call button on the class phones.

“I don’t really know what to do in an emergency, but I think contact an administrator,” senior Sean Cole said.

“Every classroom phone has a “Nurse” button that calls the nurse’s office directly. Pick up the phone and push this button. Please be prepared to tell us the room number where you are located,” Nurse Kimberly Speake said.

Since students don’t have any medical training, they aren’t expected take action other then contacting a nurse and, or 911. When I went around the classes only 12 out of 15 of the classes had this button.

“While one student is contacting the nurse, have another student go to the nearest classroom to get an adult. If the person is not breathing, after contacting the nurse, immediately dial 911,” Speake said.

Even though students are not supposed to give medical help, there are still things they can do for the teacher in need.

“Be sure the environment is safe. Move any desks, tables, or objects that might cause further injury. Do not move the individual.    Once adults are in the room, step back, and stay quiet. Try to give the person experiencing the emergency privacy, and do not stare,” Speake said

However there are some situations where immediate action is needed. One instance would be if someone needed CPR. This is necessary in any situation where a person’s heart stops beating or they stop breathing.  This is so the blood keeps moving and the oxygen will keep moving to the brain. If this is not done immediately it could cause brain damage, or death.

According to the American Heart Association, “When a person has a cardiac arrest, survival depends on immediately getting CPR from someone nearby. Almost 90 percent of people who suffer out-of-hospital cardiac arrests die. CPR, especially if performed in the first few minutes of cardiac arrest, can double or triple a person’s chance of survival.”

Kickapoo does not currently provide any CPR training, but anyone can become certified for CPR outside of school. You can become certified through the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association. These classes are not free to the public, unless if they work for Springfield Public Schools and get it through the district.