KHQ Today

KHQ Today

The Librarians Aren’t Here Just to Tell you to be Quiet

Diana Dudenhoeffer, News Editor

Libraries are known for a serious atmosphere and population of serious scholars.  The tense silence and menacing librarians can  leave some nervous and unwilling to return.

This archetype no longer describes Kickapoo’s library.  The librarians are certainly not menacing—and they’re not there just to reshelve books and tell students to quiet down.  There’s much more available at the library than most students realize.

Two full-time librarians, Shannon McDonald and Melody Netzer believe that the library doesn’t have to be a quiet and solemn place.

“The perception is that it’s really serious . . . and we think of it that way as well as a fun and comfortable space.  [The library is]  like a living room, not an office,” Netzer said.

While keeping track of all the books and other resources is a big part of the job, McDonald stresses that a huge portion of the job is centered around helping people.

“We’re always working with students, whether they be adult students or student-students,” McDonald said.

Some of their favorite things to do on any given day include assisting with research, teaching classes, and showing teachers and students how to use apps and extensions on their devices.

They will also do everything they can to find a solution to any problem that addresses them.  

“Even if it’s frustrating, we still get entertainment out of it.  We love helping people, and thrive on the chaos,” Netzer said.  

The librarians are the ones to whom everybody always goes when they have a question, and  they accept every challenge with gusto.

“We’re the information people,” McDonald said.  “That’s always been the role of a librarian.”

Even though they love their jobs, everybody has their pet peeves.  Ms. McDonald doesn’t appreciate it when  students abuse the living room vibe that the library has.  She wants people to use the space responsibly.  

Ms. Netzer hates when she has to modulate.  She doesn’t like being forced to tell students to be quiet when they’re being too loud.  She says that some people need to practice situational awareness and find a balance between studying and conversing.

Students may still be adjusting to all the new changes from the last couple of years, and the librarians are always open to suggestions.  They encourage everybody to leave feedback on social media: @librarykhs.

• News

ELA Night of Honors

• The Librarians Aren’t Here Just to Tell you to be Quiet

News

Never Again

• News

Graduation Speakers

News

Tobacco Tax Fails Proposed Rise, Outcome Disappoints Schools

News

Legalizing Recreational Marijuana

News

Me Too: How two words revolutionized the conversation on sexual misconduct, and what it looks like in high school.

• News

#Pray4Josh

• News

Important Senior Dates

News

Epsilon Beta’s Teen Tech Week Set to Begin After the Break

News

Advanced Drama Draws A Crowd