KHQ Today

KHQ Today

Epsilon Beta’s Teen Tech Week Set to Begin After the Break

This flier, aside from being hung on the walls throughout the school, is also available in the library.  It details the activities that students can complete in order to receive a prize.

This flier, aside from being hung on the walls throughout the school, is also available in the library. It details the activities that students can complete in order to receive a prize.

Diana Dudenhoeffer, News Editor

The big initiative for the last several years among librarians is to offer activities that aren’t oriented around school in order to give students a brain break and make the library a more appealing environment.  This initiative is coming to Kickapoo with the help of Epsilon Beta (formerly book club) and librarians Melody Netzer and Shannon McDonald and will take place from March 18-30.

“The focus of the event is to use have activities that we already have that not a whole lot of people know we offer, highlight it and make it more fun,” Ms. Netzer said.

Epsilon Beta president Lauryn Kisting is optimistic that students will have fun participating in the event.  

“It’s something to take your mind off the daily monotony of school,” she said.

Kisting explains that the idea behind teen tech week is to help teens start creating more.

“There’s different activities that kids can do throughout the week to get placed in a drawing.  Most of the activities include creating bookmarks, take a shelfie, reading more, and using technology to get teens more involved in the library and books,” Kisting said.

Kisting believes the event will bring about real benefit because technology has become a more integral part of life, and being involved in it is the way to succeed.

“It’s Important to get involved in technology because it’s the future. It’s becoming more prevalent in our generation, and it’ll be a staple for future generations,” she said.

Netzer explains that, while this tech week is the first of its kind in our school, she anticipates a lot of participation.  She’s set up the event to be rewarding for anyone who participates.

Completing one of the seven activities will get you candy.  But completing at least five will put you in a drawing for a prize, a grab-bag including various library-related prizes like coupons to use the vinyl printer, earbuds and coupons for the 3D printer.

“It’ll be fun.  It’s nice to hot have to focus on school all the time, ad the prizes are going to be really cool,” Kisting said.

This tech week will hopefully pave the way for similar future events.  Netzer explains that she wants to begin monthly events for the library with Epsilon Beta starting in the next year.

“We want all the students to feel like the library is a space to be utilized.  It’s supposed to be the living room for everyone to gather,” Netzer said.

• News

ELA Night of Honors

• Epsilon Beta’s Teen Tech Week Set to Begin After the Break

News

Never Again

• News

Graduation Speakers

News

Tobacco Tax Fails Proposed Rise, Outcome Disappoints Schools

News

Legalizing Recreational Marijuana

News

Me Too: How two words revolutionized the conversation on sexual misconduct, and what it looks like in high school.

• News

#Pray4Josh

• News

Important Senior Dates

News

Advanced Drama Draws A Crowd

News

In Need Of A Prom Dress?