Seals of Mediocracy

I made myself a tape of excellence. Because I'm excellent! I know this because the tape on my forehead says so. 
Photo by Tony Madden

I made myself a tape of excellence. Because I'm excellent! I know this because the tape on my forehead says so. Photo by Tony Madden

Meredith Murphree, Opinion Editor

This week, seniors were given information about departmental Seals of Excellence. We were asked to apply if we met qualifications. We embarked on a stressful journey of feeling like every accomplishment we had accomplished in high school did not deem us worthy of excellence in a chosen department.

All of this made me wonder, why? What does a Seal of Excellence really do? There is no money attached to being approved for one and the applications are handed out too late in the year to go on many college applications. Really, seniors are asked to examine their high school careers for bragging rights.

I am so tired of this. Jumping through hoops for what—self satisfaction? Pride in your accomplishments?

In a way, Seals of Excellence mirror the high school experience. Students spend four years of jumping through hoops, stressing about papers, memorizing weird facts that will never do us any good outside of Tuesday night trivia at your local hole in the wall nightclub—and for what? A piece of paper.

Seals of Mediocracy