Part Time Jobs Instill Experience

Senior+Greyson+Lee+has+a+job+as+a+host+at+a+restaurant++because+he+pays+for+gas+and+insurance+and+he+also+likes+
Senior Greyson Lee has a job as a host at a restaurant  because he pays for gas and insurance and he also likes

Senior Greyson Lee has a job as a host at a restaurant because he pays for gas and insurance and he also likes

Isabel Halweg, Reporter

When you think of the word “job” it doesn’t usually bring positive thoughts to mind. Jobs are usually described as hard, stressful, and frustrating. There are a lot of excuses to not get a job at our age, especially since most students don’t need a job. Some people are scared that their social lives will end, while others just don’t want the responsibility, because, honestly, who really wants to grow up? I avoided getting a job for all of those reasons, but I haven’t regretted my decision yet.

 While you’re still living at home is the best time to get a job. Now is the opportunity to gain experience while your parents still support you. If I mess up at work and lose my job it’s not that big of a deal because I still live at home. So instead of being stressed out I can just learn from my mistakes and try again at a new job.

 After a person starts working they will have new responsibilities. These include doing taxes and managing money. It was a learning process when I first started, but my parents were a source for help to learn. Learning how to save and budget isn’t something that happens overnight.

 It’s also a good way to become more independent. Jobs allow you to gradually start paying for things on your own. It’s a lot easier to pay bills when you ease into it. When I first got a job I started paying for my extra non-necessary items like clothing, eating out, and going to the movies. Then over time I started paying for gas and insurance. If I didn’t have this opportunity then the idea of moving out would be a lot more daunting.

Job history also looks great on college and future job applications. It looks even better when you can show that you’ve kept a job for at least a year. This shows responsibility and loyalty, two attributes hiring managers will love. One thing you don’t want is to go to school for a degree and not get the job because you lacked the experience.

 Especially around the school there are many places that teens can get jobs. Campbell Avenue alone has plenty of small businesses and restaurants where you can pick up an application. I don’t regret getting my first job, not only did it allow me to buy my first car on my own but it taught me responsibility.

Part Time Jobs Instill Experience