Senate Bill 98 Ignores Minority Rights

It is not up to the senators to determine the gender identity of a student.  Transgender youth should not be forced to use a bathroom that does not match their gender.

It is not up to the senators to determine the gender identity of a student. Transgender youth should not be forced to use a bathroom that does not match their gender.

Diana Dudenhoeffer, News Editor

Springfield Public Schools’ policy on transgender bathroom use is the lack of policy.

Republican State Senator Ed Emery plans to change that.  He oversees Senate Bill 98, commonly known as the “bathroom bill.”    

The bill would make transgender students legally obligated to use the bathroom, locker room, shower room, etc. that matches with their anatomy, meaning their biological sex, and not their gender identity.

It is already illegal to go into a restroom with ill intent, so proposing a bill that targets transgender youth exclusively is both discriminatory and superfluous.  

The bill states, “in every public school setting in which a student may be in a state of undress in the presence of other students, school personnel shall provide separate, distinct areas designated for use by students based on their biological sex to ensure the personal privacy and safety of students.”

Senator Emery claims that the safety and privacy of all students is his priority, but the details of the bill imply otherwise.

Should SB 98 pass, transgender students will not be allowed to use the bathroom that they want to use.  For example, a trans boy—let’s call him James—is someone who presents, acts, lives, dresses, and IS male.  If the bill passes, James will not be able to use the men’s bathroom.  This is discriminatory and does not take into account James’ safety.

Senator Emery thinks that transgender people should have to go somewhere else other than the bathroom with which they identify.  What Emery doesn’t realize—or rather, what he doesn’t care about—is that transgender students wouldn’t be able to use their biological bathroom, either.

If James were to use the women’s restroom like Senator Emery wants, he would be very out of place because he doesn’t look feminine in any way.    He would be ostracized for simply walking into the restroom that matches his anatomy.

The bill also states “A student who asserts to school officials that his or her gender is different from his or her biological sex may be provided with alternative restroom, locker room, or shower room accommodations.”

The word to note is “may.”  Emery’s bill says that schools may provide alternative accommodations, but the bill in no way forces the schools to do so.  Transgender students won’t be able to use the bathroom that they want, they won’t be able to use the bathroom that matches their biology, and there’s no promising that they will have anywhere else to go.

Alternative accommodations are not the solution to the bathroom debacle.  Building a third bathroom for all the “others” in schools provides a breeding ground for harassment and bullying.  It calls attention to students who use the third bathroom and jeopardizes their privacy.  

The bathroom bill does not ensure safety for students.  It is already illegal to go into a restroom with ill intent, so proposing a bill that targets transgender youth exclusively is both discriminatory and superfluous. 

The bill further states that “[a student can] be provided with alternative restroom, locker room, or shower room accommodations, provided that a parent or legal guardian . . . shall provide written consent to use of such alternative accommodations.”

I do not need permission from my parents do use the bathroom!  It should not be up to parents to determine which bathroom best fits their child.  Senator Emery and those in favor of this bill  know that many transgender students have turmoil at home because they are not accepted by their families.  By requiring parental consent, the bill effectively denies transgender students of their rights.

To recap:  James won’t be able to use the men’s restroom.  He will be bullied if he uses the women’s restroom.  And even if he obtains parental consent, he still will not be allowed into the restroom that he wants to use.  

Bills and laws are written so that they can be enforced.  Authorities will not be able to control who goes into what bathroom. Transgender students deserve their rights, and SB 98 does not ensure the equality of everyone.

The good news is that Missouri’s senate is not in session currently, so this bill will not go into effect any time soon.  Emery will have to re-introduce the bill in January of next year and start over if he wants his bill passed.

To voice your concerns, visit senate.mo.gov and send Mr. Emery an e-mail.  Missouri State Senator Bob Dixon’s district includes Kickapoo, so you can also e-mail him so that he can vote with for best interests of the people he is representing.  

• Senate Bill 98 Ignores Minority Rights

Opinion

Team Sports Quiz Changes

Opinion

New Year, New Me

Opinion

Chromebook Pros and Cons

Opinion

As a Journalist: My Experience at the Freedom Forum’s Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference

Opinion

I Believe That We Are (Still) Gross

Opinion

Hotel of Terror Review

Opinion

Public Displays of Affection in the Hallways

Opinion

My Days are Numbered

• Opinion

HBCCC: Nugs

Opinion

“I saw Goody New York Times with the Fake News”: The Fake News Problem

Senate Bill 98 Ignores Minority Rights