KHQ Today

KHQ Today

High School Girls Perpetuate the Lesbian Trend

High-Schoolers across the nation are trying the gay lifestyle on for size.  It's not empowering or advocating for equality, though.  It's just plain wrong.

High-Schoolers across the nation are trying the gay lifestyle on for size. It's not empowering or advocating for equality, though. It's just plain wrong.

Diana Dudenhoeffer, News Editor

There are three reasons why a high school girl might gush about her new girlfriend.

The first reason is that she’s  just like the rest of us: confused, blindly stumbling about, dating to pass the time or dating to find The One. She’s trying to figure herself out, so she’s showing off a new boyfriend or girlfriend on Instagram every few weeks to cover up the fact that she’s lost in the perplexity of growing up.

The second reason is that she feels free to express her sexuality.  She feels safe in an environment that supports her, and she’s able to live as a homo/bi/poly/pan-sexual woman because she is brave enough to be herself in a world that sometimes encourages her not to.

The third reason that  high school girls might feel compelled to date each other is because of the Lesbian Trend.

Many people may consider Lesbians to be trendy because there are a lot more of them than there used to be, especially in the high school setting.

Hello, it’s me, the token Lesbian, here again to complain about Lesbian things.

While I typically joke that girls wearing those plaid lumberjack shirts are “appropriating lesbian culture,” I can’t help but wonder what else straight people are are stealing from us.  And then I realized that, by dating girls themselves, straight girls–heterosexual girls, that is–are taking away the core of what it means to be gay.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s wonderful that more people are coming out.  We’re fortunate to live in an period where it is becoming more safe and more acceptable for gay people to be themselves.

But straight people don’t get to have this. Taking away the root of what homosexuality is by exploiting it the worst type of oppression.  Pretending to be gay or being gay just for fun is just another form of ostracizing the LGBT+ community.  Get your yucky little hetero fingers off of things that don’t belong to you.

My theory for the increasing lesbian crowd may be caused in part by celebrities like bisexual actress Bella Thorne and lesbian actress Ellen Page who serve as  role models for young girls worldwide.  And imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so teens who want to be more like their famous idols may take up homosexuality as a hobby.

What these girls fail to understand is that homosexuality belongs to homosexuals and nobody else.  Same-sex dating is a characteristic reserved only for people in the LGBT+ community and those searching for their identity, not for heterosexuals.  This isn’t to say that heterosexuality is bad; just stay in your lane, girls.

To be clear, the problem does not lie in those who are looking to find themselves.  Nobody expects you to know your sexuality, and actively dating multiple genders does not cause anybody any harm.  Bisexual people (those attracted to their own gender as well as another gender) aren’t the problem, either.

The center of this problem lies in decidedly heterosexual girls using other girls as an excuse to consider themselves a minority.

Being a minority is cool somehow for someone who has never been in a minority group.  Because a privileged person will never have to suffer the true consequences of being a minority, they might think it’s fun to dabble in a world that is foreign to them.  

The Lesbian trend is merely a reason for girl to go looking for a reason to be oppressed.  But because they are not truly in the LGBT+ community, there is no way they will ever suffer any injustice.

High school girls may decide to “go gay” because they’re fed up with teenage boys, because the new endeavor seems fun and exciting or because the Internet glorifies this newly-blown-up “heteroflexible” term, which people use to describe themselves as mostly straight and sometimes gay.

Heteroflexibility, then, is essentially heterosexuality but only when it’s fun not to be.  This is another example of dabbling in the culture of the oppressed and never needing to suffer any of the consequences. It’s a cop-out.  It’s unfair.  And it’s further oppressing the groups of people who actually identify as gay, bisexual, transgender, and others.

Dating for love versus dating for the attention has been a problem for young people for as long as dating has been popular.  We need to tell the difference between the two and put a halt to the latter.

So, girls:  If your girlfriend is just another accessory to your outfit, it’s time to stop.  If your girlfriend is truly someone you love, and you can see yourself building a future with her, then I wish you the best of luck.

• High School Girls Perpetuate the Lesbian Trend

Opinion

Bad Feminism Threatens Positive Movements to Equality

• Opinion

The Young Adult Novel Apocalypse: Authors Exploit the Genre

• Opinion

Are Chromebooks useful?

• Opinion

Immigrants Know More

Opinion

What We’re Thinking of Fergie’s Not-So National Anthem Rendition

Opinion

Black Panther Review

Opinion

Women Do Not Have a Right to Their Bodies

Opinion

Thank You, Fortnite

• Opinion

A To Z Conspiracy: Area 51

Opinion

My Voice Matters, Too.