KHQ Today

KHQ Today

Immigrants Know More

Will Anoai, Sports Editor

Being an immigrant myself, coming to America was very difficult I had to learn a new language and about how the government runs. So my main point is why do I have to learn more about their country than they do.

Like how does that make sense, to add onto that the process of becoming a citizen is a long and gruelling process.

In order to be eligible to apply to become a citizen, first off you need to be eighteen, a lawful permanent resident of the United States, resident and physically present in the United States for at least five years at a time of application, and must be of good moral character.

I get the other requirements to apply to be a citizen, how can you classify a person as a good moral citizen; think about it how is the U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services(USCIS) suppose to tell a immigrant is a good person.

“One of the general requirements for naturalization is good moral character (GMC). GMC means character which measures up to the standards of average citizens of the community in which the applicant resides. [1]In general, an applicant must show that he or she has been and continues to be a person of GMC during the statutory period prior to filing and up to the time of the Oath of Allegiance,” according to the USCIS.

But I’m not the only one that understands this many other students know how hard the process of becoming a citizen.

“Yeah I remember when I first got my citizenship, it took me almost two years before I finally got it, when they told me I was finally a citizen of America all the hard work was well worth it,” said Junior at Evangel Patrick Puletusie

Immigrants Know More