Athletes commit to continue athletic career in College

Tyler Frey and Paul Rich, Sports Editors

Each year, Kickapoo’s finest athletes get offers to continue their sports careers at the college level. All of the student athletes come together on signing day to make their final commitment to a college. Dozens of athletes have received offers from schools and it’s a rather long list. Only nine have officially signed as of this point. The following athletes and their chosen schools are:

Jared Ridder– Xavier, Basketball

Cameron Davis– Navy, Basketball

Jordan Saunders– UC Irvine, Basketball

Adam Link– Drury, Baseball

Robbie Merced– Missouri State, Baseball

Michael Barnes– Fort Scott CC, Baseball

Bailey Cantu– Eastern Oklahoma, Baseball

Megan Tiede– Evangel, Softball

Ari Acuff– Navy, Golf

With one more season still left to play in basketball Jared Ridder and Cameron Davis have each signed to continue their basketball careers. Ridder, who signed with a team who was ranked number nine in college basketball last year, looks to extend his stellar play on the court. As for Davis, he looks to give back to his country after finishing his four years of school.

“At Navy, I get the opportunity to impact the world in the way I want to.” Davis said. “I will get to be a leader in the United States Navy after only four years of school. It was a decision I made for the next 40 years of my life, not just for the next four,” he said after he officially signed with Navy.

Jordan Saunders committed to UC Irvine to continue playing basketball after excellent play last season. After winning a state championship in the 2015-2016 season, Saunders still has a full season of high school left to play.

For baseball Adam Link, Robbie Merced, Michael Barnes and Bailey Cantu have all officially committed to continue baseball. Link and Merced are staying local with Drury and MSU. Meanwhile, Barnes and Cantu will be attending colleges outside of the Missouri area.

Megan Tiede, the lone softball athlete to commit, decided to play at Evangel for the next four years. With her dynamic play at the catcher position, the next four years look bright for the young player.

And lastly, Ari Acuff committed to play golf at Navy. With impressive performance in the 2016 golf season, Acuff looks to continue the excellent performance at the next level in college.