The Journey of High School Wrestling

Senior PJ Walker and Senior Tanner Stoops start to grapple at a practice session during the wrestling season.

Tyler Frey, Sports Editor

The journey of discovering a passion all started with a baseball coach asking one of his players to come to a wrestling practice. Senior PJ Walker started to wrestle at the age of seven in Republic for his former baseball coach.

“I got into wrestling because it teaches you how to become a man,” Walker said. “It teaches you not to think about pain. When you wrestle one on one, there is nobody else to blame but yourself for your performance.” he added.

Little did Walker know, he would later place in tournaments all over Missouri in his high school career. With his senior season still to finish, he still believes he hasn’t hit his peak just yet.

“I do believe I am the best I am as of right now, but I know with more time and weight lifting, I can become better,” Walker said. I want to take home a medal for Kickapoo at state this year,” he added.

Throughout the year, Walker has had very strong performances at his meets. On January 30th, Walker dominated his opponents, who were from Nixa and Republic, earning two wins on senior night.

Walker wrestles in a 220 pound weight class, which means he only wrestles opponents that weigh around the same weight as him. Sometimes these 220 pounders look bigger than others, because everyone has different builds.

Walker has gotten his fair share of types of wrestlers all over the state. This hasn’t slowed Walker down in the slightest. One word comes to mind when Walker steps on the mat this year, “determination.”

The Journey of High School Wrestling