Hockey Keeps on Hitting

Junior Anthony Hales gets ready for the puck drop in a face off at center ice. Photo courtesy of Jack Patrick.

Evan Ellis, Sports Co-Editor

Hockey is considered one of the four major sports from major sports leaders like ESPN  and NBC,  but is it worthy to be in the same conversation as football, baseball, basketball? When players are 6’8” as much as 250 pounds and are expected to skate as fast as 20 mph on ice is impressive by itself. Then there is the aspect of being able to hit a small area with a frozen puck going as fast as 100 mph. Don’t forget fighting is allowed.

“Yeah, it’s the most fun sport to watch… It should be as popular as football or basketball,” junior Anthony Hales said. Hales has been playing hockey all his life and truly believes that hockey deserves more love and respect than it is given.

 “I started playing hockey after visiting the Czech Republic and once I got back in the United States I started playing it.” Hales said.

Hockey is one of the fastest moving sports to both watch and play.

“I enjoy the intensity, physicality and speed of the game the most,” stated Hales.

Even though hockey hasn’t exactly taken off as a high school sport, teams like the St. Louis Blues have helped put hockey on the map as a professional sport. Not only have the St. Louis Blues brought joy and interest into a fairly unknown sport but it has also given hope to the high school athletes that play hockey but don’t have a high school team.

You can go watch Anthony Hales and the Springfield Spirit at the Jordan Valley Mediacom Ice park on sundays. For more information about the Springfield Spirit Hockey and their schedule visit springfieldyouthhockey.com.

Hockey Keeps on Hitting