KHQ TODAY

New Football Starters

Quarterback Mason Auer (11) attempts to run for a first down on September 1 against Joplin at Pottenger Stadium.
All photos courtesy of Jack Patrick

Quarterback Mason Auer (11) attempts to run for a first down on September 1 against Joplin at Pottenger Stadium. All photos courtesy of Jack Patrick

Jack Stobbe and Garrett Peck

Linebacker Jack Hayden (11) returns an interception during the game against Parkview on August 18 at Pottenger Stadium.

Joshua Scheiderer (12) attempts to make a catch against Parkview on August 18 at Pottenger Stadium.

Adrian Davis (12) catches a touchdown pass aganst Glendale on September 15 at Pottenger Stadium.

This football season poses new challenges for Kickapoo’s brand new head coach Nate Thomas.

Thomas went from coaching 60 kids in grades nine through twelve at Marshfield, his previous job, to coaching 100 kids in the same age group at Kickapoo.

Thomas discussed the transition and adjustment from being a senior-laden team last season to having a mostly young and inexperienced team.

“It’s not that different for me because it’s my first year, but it is an adjustment for our players because of all the players and talent we’ve lost,” Thomas said.

The only returning all conference player is Defensive Lineman Will Anoai, who is also one of the only seniors with starting experience on the team.

Senior Noah Jennerjohn, starting Defensive End and Tight End for the varsity team, is another one of the few seniors who are starting. He explained how he has tried to be leader to such a young team.

“I’ve basically just tried to continue to do what I’ve always done, and that is lead by example,” Jennerjohn said.

Both Coach Thomas and Jennerjohn have had mostly positive things to say about how some of the younger players have performed under the bright lights of a varsity high school football game.

“A lot of young guys stepped up and held their own when called upon,” Jennerjohn explained.

Jennerjohn and Thomas agreed that the biggest adjustment this team has had to make after losing so many experienced, senior starters last season was winning close football games.

“We just need to come together as a team and finish games, make sure we play a full sixty minutes,” Jennerjohn said.

With a young team and a first-year head coach, the Kickapoo football team has had to make adjustments this football season. Only time will tell if this transition will translate to wins on the football field.

About the Writer
Garrett Peck, Opinion Editor
Movies have gotten to grow stale. I’m tired of seeing sequels, series, and spinoffs. I want more original ideas, I want movies like Zootopia and Get Out. Both are wildly different, but benefit from the refreshing feeling of being a new experience. Sure, everybody loves to watch the new Marvel movie, and there is nothing...
  • Feature

Q&A With Dr. Powers

• New Football Starters

Opinion

Cry Pretty

• Opinion

Swimming

• New Football Starters

Opinion

Sierra Burgess Really Is A Loser

• New Football Starters

Opinion

Kneeling For Nothing

• News

ELA Night of Honors

• Sports

NBA Playoffs Review

• New Football Starters

News

Never Again

• Showcase

America’s Pastime

• Showcase

Giving Back To The Community

Kickapoo High Quarterly
New Football Starters