Boys Track and Field

Gabby Burgess, Reporter

The Boys track and field team has had a strong season so far, and they are just getting started! The team has competed in various meets since the beginning of this season earlier in the year. The team has ranked highly among others, with more than 10 members in both track and field events placing in the top 3 throughout a majority of their meets at various schools in the community. Last Wednesday they had their conference meet and their high hopes were met.

Throughout the entirety of the team 22 placed within the top 8 at the conference meet, 15 in the running and relay events, and seven in the field events. The varsity placed fourth in confrence. Overall Coach Goddard said he was very happy with the teams results and is looking forward to the rest of the season.

Something that was conveyed consistently was how happy the team was to be competing again and ultimately being able to practice after the abrupt end to last season. “I really missed going to the meets and cheering everyone on last year.” senior sprinter Ryan Harris said. Despite being smaller in size this year the team’s talent and potential were exceptional across the board. This did not go unnoticed by the team, “We’ve had a smaller number of athletes show up to run this year, but we’re all looking solid and we’ve got a lot of talent to use this year, even in a smaller number.” senior sprinter Matthew Wagoner said.

The team has been practicing since early January, shortly after we returned from Winter break. “Everyone is running their hardest and making lots of progress,” Harris said in the weeks leading up to the conference. Occurring early last week the team went into the meet looking strong with players feeling as though they had a high chance of succeeding in their plans to move on to state. “the sprints team is a lot faster than I’ve seen in the past years, and we have beasts in the throwing. All events, boys and girls, are looking very promising,” Harris said. The upperclassman have also had an influence on the younger players, such as freshman Jacob Field. “All of them are very kind and great leaders. I strive to become a leader like them.” Field said. The team stayed true to their words with Kickapoo’s Javelin Throw record being beat by sophomore Andrew Link.

Congratulations to the team and good luck through the rest of your season!