Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Biomedical Breakthrough

Here is a look into the Biomedical Innovations class that many haven’t heard about. This class requires a couple of prerequisites before so sign up as soon as you can!
The students get to leave school and work side by side with medical professionals at the Mercy hospital.

Senior Eli Billue takes an interesting class called Biomedical Innovation. This class is taught here at school and by PLTW teacher, Jami Jansen. 

To get into Biomedical Innovation isn’t quick and easy. You have to go through a prerequisite called biomed and science which is mostly forensically based and you get a basic overview of the human body. The next class is human body systems, which is where you learn more about the works of the human body.

Medical Innovations is the third-level class where you learn how to help patients and you research different types of diseases.   

“Biomedical innovations is where you make a specific device that will help out the healthcare professionals,” Billue said 

In Biomedical Innovations,  you have to spend some time at Mercy. There you are required to spend 30 hours at the hospital, all in the first quarter. The students go straight there at around 7:50 in the morning, they go on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays with over 30 different departments to cover. It  gets really busy. 

“We go straight to the Mercy Hospital and then from there you go to your specific unit which you’ll be assigned to.” Billue said 

Billue loves the class and doesn’t think of it as difficult at the moment. Later they have some projects to do. In Biomedical innovation, they have to create a project to help out medical professionals as their final project.  

“It’s going to get more difficult whenever you get to the project part, it’s a lot more creativity. You basically have to come up with innovation,” Billue said 

Even though this is a high school class, it is a reality check. Billue expressed how upsetting it was, to see people’s last moments that can’t be fixed and to listen to broken family members say goodbye for the last time to their loved ones. 

“It’s definitely a big reality check because I see these people on their deathbed and they can’t really fix them. They’re barely talking and on all these machines and it’s really sad to see. It really makes you check what your thankful for” Billue said 

This class is helpful to the people at the hospital and very useful for people who want to work in the medical field. So go sign up for Biomed and Science before it’s too late.