Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

A Helpful Hand

The counseling center and Parkcrest Church are partnering to help feed hearts and provide Thanksgiving meals to those in need during the holiday season.
Photo by Nyah Warren
This upcoming holiday season, Mrs. Moran is helping get food to families in need.

With the fall holidays quickly approaching, so are colder months and tighter budgets for some families, since many struggle with financial problems all across America. 

According to research done at Monmouth University, almost 42 percent (four out of ten) of American families struggle with staying within the payroll that they are receiving. 

For many of these families who need help keeping an even income level, keeping food on the table can be difficult. Especially since Thanksgiving is right around the corner, prices are bound to be higher. 

The national food supply causes a significant spike in prices, increasing since an extensive portion of American families celebrate the November holiday.

Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cheesy potatoes, stuffing, and creamed corn are some of the widespread dishes enjoyed on the third Thursday of November.

Only some families have the luxury of purchasing these food items due to being on a strict budget.

To help the families within our school and community, Parkcrest Baptist Church will be partnering with our school to offer a Thanksgiving Donation Drive Thru. 

This event offers a drive-thru Thanksgiving meal, including turkey and all traditional sides. The meal is entirely prepared and funded by the church. 

On November 19, the families who have signed up go to the church and receive their meal. The church packs their car with a full meal, including refreshments and a treat for each child. 

“I’ve been helping with Thanksgiving since the pantry opened in 2016, so for seven years,” Moran said. 

Mrs. Moran has been helping with the food pantry and various other events. Initially, the pantry packed baskets for the students and gave them a food voucher. They have been working with Parkcrest Baptist Church for a few years to provide these meals. 

“Before the Kare Team donated everything we gave out,” Mrs. Moran said. 

Now that our Kare Team has been partnering with the church, they have been able to provide much more for our students and their families. 

Mrs. Moran sent all families of our student body a message about the Thanksgiving drive thru. Students can contact their counselor or Mrs. Moran to be signed up this Thanksgiving.