Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

WYA Provisions on Demand?

Teenagers have been taken into consideration when choosing the items at POD Markets, and a college dining hall-style serving area has been created.
POD+Markets+combines+a+traditional+convenience+store+with+a+grab-and-go+market+to+keep+students+satisfied.+
Photo by Alley Ackerman
POD Markets combines a traditional convenience store with a grab-and-go market to keep students satisfied.

If you are new to the school this year, you probably have questions about what the strange locked up element in the commons is. To answer your question, it’s called Provisions on Demand, also known as POD. 

Popular menu items include fresh salads, sub sandwiches, wraps, parfaits of fruit and yogurt, bento boxes, fresh fruit cups, hot fan favorites, an elevated a la carte menu, and a selection of drinks, including Java City branded coffee and tea drinks.

This was implemented about eight-nine years ago. It was made to provide another option for students during breakfast and lunch. It wasn’t to provide the full meal, but drinks, sandwiches, etc.

Since being open, it quickly shut down after COVID-19 and the lack of employees. However, during the 2022-23 school year, it opened briefly towards the end of the year. During the short time period, it was very successful. Then, with the return of the 2023-24 school year, it’s shut down once again. 

“For that very short time period last year, we were staffed to be able to open it. However, we are short-staffed again and need everyone cooking, prepping, and running the registers,” Kickapoo’s principal, Dr. Powers said. 

Although Provisions on Demand is closed, I’m sure many of you have also noticed the bare-empty vending machines that have been eagerly waiting to be filled with snacks and drinks…

It promotes healthy eating, and it has been demonstrated that having access to snacks in the classroom increases student focus. All school districts can benefit from these devices. (Photo by Alley Ackerman)

After looking on the SPS district website, it stated that the vending machines will no longer be a thing until further notice. 

“After attempting two solicitations, the district has not secured a new vendor for snack vending services (this does not include beverages). Snack vending machines will be removed from district sites at the end of the 2022-2023 school year. Each vendor is required to sign the district vending contract and must adhere to district guidelines. We have strict guidelines in place that must be followed. All snacks sold in vending machines accessible to students must follow state/federal and district wellness policies. Commissions may be received with the snack contract. School Stores fall under the district Wellness Policy. Concessions must have 50% of items that fall under the wellness policy available for sale,” SPS said. 

Vending machines typically provide students with a variety of quick, practical foods that allow them to skip lengthy cafeteria lines or give them the energy they need to finish the school day strong. Additionally, students may not leave the building to get a quick snack or drink if there are vending machines in the school. Having these at schools is advantageous for both staff and students, but they can also be very profitable. Schools should allow students access to vending machines all throughout the day for these reasons. 

“The previous vendor closed their business. SPS put out bids for new vending machines businesses and no one picked it up. DECA is in the process of starting up the vending machines soon. The reason they are not on during lunch is due to guidelines and policies [District Wellness Policy] we must follow. This link will take you to those,” Dr. Powers said. 

Students get hungry and want the vending machines filled. They want the milk machine filled in the athletic entrance. Pun or not, the vending machines are also hungry for cards and cash.