Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Stepping Up For Down Syndrome

HOSA put together a special event to raise awareness for Down Syndrome.
Photo by Madison Bryant
Students and community members walking around the track to “step up” for Down Syndrome.

For many, October is known for Halloween and the beginning of fall, but those are not the only things that occur during this time. Down Syndrome Awareness Month commences every October and this year, a special event will be held to support this cause. 

Down Syndrome (DS) is a genetic condition where an individual is born with an extra chromosome resulting in 47 chromosomes in total instead of the typical 46. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it is the most common chromosomal condition with 6,000 babies born each year with DS. 

This is a lifelong condition but there are many services available to help with each individual’s physical and intellectual needs.

Ever since the first Down Syndrome Awareness Month took place in the 1980s, October has been a time to celebrate the individuals affected and all of their accomplishments. To show support, the Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA) put together a night where everyone could come together for this important condition. 

HOSA is a club made up of students who would like to go into the healthcare field later on in life. Throughout the year they host many different events to raise funds, spread awareness, and show support for a variety of causes. 

On October 19, community members came together to join the HOSA Community Awareness team and “step up for Down syndrome” by walking around the track from 6:30-8:00 PM.

“We just thought a walk would be a fun fundraiser. We knew there weren’t that many or any walks so we thought it would be different,” HOSA President Summer Weems said.

In addition to the walk, there was live music, multiple games, and food provided. Even some HOSA members spent time making food to sell at the bake sale in an attempt to raise more money. The cost to enter the walk was $2 and all money raised from the entry fees went towards the Down Syndrome Group of the Ozarks. 

“We wanted to spread awareness about Down syndrome and donate our funds to the cause. All of our HOSA chapter is coming and bringing goods for the bake sale,” Weems said.