Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

May: Mental Health Awareness Month

May has been designated as Mental Health Awareness Month since 1949. This month is dedicated to raising awareness and support for mental health.
You+are+not+alone.+Reach+out%2C+seek+support%2C+and+find+your+inner+strength.+%23TogetherWeHeal.+
Photo by Wikimedia Commons
You are not alone. Reach out, seek support, and find your inner strength. #TogetherWeHeal.

43.8 million adults experience mental illness in a given year. With that being said, May is Mental Health Awareness Month. This month is such an important time to spread the word and support each other. It’s a chance to learn more, share resources, and break down the stigma around mental health. It’s all about understanding that it’s okay to not be okay and that there’s help available.  

Mental health is super important because it affects how we think, feel, and act. It’s a big part of our overall well being. Just like physical health, taking care of our mental health helps us cope with stress, relate to others, and make choices. Plus, when our mental health is good, we can enjoy life more, be more creative, and learn better. It’s all about balance and making sure we’re feeling our best inside and out. 

There are many ways to promote mental health awareness. A good starting step can start by sharing information and resources on social media, organizing events or discussions in the community, or participating in mental health campaigns. supporting mental health organizations, educating yourself and others about mental health, and being there for friends and loved ones who may be struggling. 

From a therapist’s viewpoint, even small actions can make the biggest difference to someone struggling. 

“Mental health awareness is critical to facilitating a more compassionate, empathetic and inclusive world. The more we as a community understand mental illnesses and struggles the more capable we become of healing. Everyone has or will deal with a mental health struggle during their lifetime. The more we bring about awareness and lessen stereotypes the more individuals will be prepared when they face their own and more apt to reach out for help. No one should struggle alone,” Melisa Hilton MS, LPC, said. 

Some common mental health disorders include anxiety disorders, like generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder, depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, and schizophrenia. It’s really important to understand that these conditions are treatable and that anyone who’s struggling can seek help. There’s a lot of support out there. 

Treatment options for depression can vary, but they often include therapy, like cognitive behavioral therapy or interpersonal therapy, medication such as antidepressants, lifestyle changes like regular exercise and a healthy diet, and sometimes support groups. It’s really important to work with a healthcare professional to find the best approach for yourself or for anyone who’s dealing with depression. Taking the first step to ask for help is a sign of strength, never weakness. 

Mental Health Awareness Month is super important. It’s every May, and it’s all about spreading the word on mental health issues, breaking down stigmas, and encouraging people to seek help if they need it. It’s a time for education, support, and advocacy. People can participate by sharing their own stories, attending events, or even just wearing a green ribbon to show support. It’s all about starting conversations and keeping them going. 

There are a few common misconceptions about mental health that are important to address. Some people may believe that mental health issues are a sign of weakness or that they can simply “snap out of it.” But in reality, mental health is just as important as physical health, and it’s not something that can be easily overcome by willpower alone. 

Another misconception is that only certain types of people experience mental health problems, when in fact, mental health can affect anyone regardless of age, gender, or background. It’s also important to note that mental health is not a choice or a character flaw, but rather a medical condition that deserves understanding and support. Let’s keep spreading awareness and breaking down these misconceptions every year. 

“I think some of the ways students could support Mental Health Awareness month could be talking to their friends and family about their mental health. Checking in on someone in a genuine way can be a good way to start conversations about mental health. Take some time to identify things that can positively impact their mental health and then do some of those things. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) both have social media campaigns and other activities to bring awareness,” KHS counselor, Mrs. Mavie Busboom said. 

Here are some tips for promoting mental health awareness: 

1. Educate Yourself and Others: Learn about mental health issues and share your knowledge. Books on mental health awareness can be a great resource. 
  2. Be Open About Mental Health: Talk about it just like you would physical health. This can help normalize the conversation. 
  3. Use Social Media: Share accurate information and positive messages about mental health on your platforms.
  1. Participate in Events: Join or organize walks, talks, or other events that focus on raising awareness.
  1. Support Others: If you know someone struggling, offer your support and encourage them to seek professional help.
  1. Volunteer: Give your time to mental health organizations or support groups.
  1. Advocate: Speak up about the importance of mental health services and support legislation that improves mental health care. Every little bit helps in creating a more understanding and supportive community.