Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Team of Sisters

The girls’ wrestling team competed in districts earlier this month. Their bond has since strengthened and showed off the companionship of sports, rather than the victory aspect.
Kaitlyn+Finley+%28right%29%2C+a+member+of+the+girls+wrestling+team%2C+showing+off+her+techniques+she+brought+to+districts.+
Photo by Jennifer Burks
Kaitlyn Finley (right), a member of the girls’ wrestling team, showing off her techniques she brought to districts.

Girls’ wrestling, a rising sport, is one of the fastest-growing sports according to the National Wrestling Coaches Association.
On February 9 through 10, the girls’ wrestling team competed at the Class Two District Three Tournament in Kansas City. Junior Kylie Galyean was one of the competitors.
“When we get there, we weigh in and then wrestling starts from the lowest weight class up. They have a lose-two-elimination rule. The first day you wrestled determined what place you were going for, and the second day was the final matches,” Galyean said.
The team gave it their all the whole weekend and made a real effort. While they may not have made it to state, the fact that they made it to districts is a win for everyone on the team to celebrate and look back on.
“There was really tough competition. None of us placed but we all wrestled really well,” Galyean said.
Being able to have a tight-knit team is a big part of being successful in the sport and competing. When the teams are close like our wrestling team, they make memories that they can look back on and enjoy the sport. These sorts of bonds and memories can be created through struggle and surpassing challenges, such as those that came along with the Kansas City Districts.
“It was probably one of my favorite experiences. It brought us so much closer as a team and we got to see how much the coaches cared about our success,” Galyean said.
Coaches and team members can be some of the greatest influences and friends once you get to know them, and Sophomore Kaitlyn Finley believes that joining wrestling can be a fruitful experience, not only physically, but for creating valuable bonds.
“If you’re thinking about joining wrestling, I would recommend it. It is so much fun and you can learn so many different things and everyone is so kind and supportive,” Finley said.
The girls’ wrestling team did an amazing job and tried their absolute best at the tournament. Getting to the district brought the team together and gave them a new goal for the future.