Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Let the Competition Begin!

In the fast-paced world of technology breakthroughs, Kickapoo’s robotics club had their First Tech Challenge (FTC) League Meet on Saturday, December 2, where the brightest minds came together and competed to see who was moving on to the next competition.
Photo by Mary Cannella
Students in Team #10123 with their robot after placing fourth in their competition.

From cutting-edge innovations, such as Teams #10123 robot, pushing pixels from one side of the field to the other and throwing paper airplanes, the team took third place.

Unfolding the narrative of this robotics competition, 14 schools met at our school to race for a place on the scoreboard. The FTC League Meet was held in the commons. They had a total of 10 teams and each team that was in attendance competed in six matches. 

A little bit more information about these teams is that some team members aren’t from our school, especially in Team 8856, where one member is from Ozark High School. 

“Our two Springfield robotics teams did very well,” robotics teacher Mary Cannella comments on how she thinks the teams did. 

In addition to this our teams, Team 8856 and Team 10123 had the same scores in a competition, which was 4-2. Overall, Team 10123 placed fourth and Team 8856 placed 11th.

Including this meet, each team has four meets all season and this was one of them.

They will have one more in December and host another at our school in January 2024. The teams will have their larger league tournament at Drury in February 2024. 

Ken Do, a senior programmer for the robotics club talks about how robotics affects our school and what it means to him.

“Robotics was the first club I joined here at Kickapoo. I was welcomed in by Mrs. Cannella and was immediately exposed to new and interesting problems,” Do said. 

The Robotics Club is one of many communities that spark creativity here at school.

“In the robotics club, you get the opportunity to learn from many people and in many different subjects. From 3D printing to computer programming, the Robotics Club prepares students for skills that are in high demand in the workforce,” Do said. 

Junior Melanie Ramirez, a Robotics mentor, comments on how robotics affects our school. 

“It shows people how what you learn can be used in real-life situations. For example, right now our teams have the opportunity to shoot a paper airplane to gain more points for their game and they have to calculate how far they can be and how fast the airplane should shoot,” Ramirez said.

Students in Team #8856 holding their robot after placing 11th in their competition.  (Photo by Mary Cannella)