Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Volunteer Opportunities

If you are looking for a way to get some volunteer hours in this summer, here are some places you should check out.
Photo by Sophie Webb
Picking up litter around Springfield is a great way to help the community while getting your volunteer hours in.

Volunteering over the summer can be a way to stay active, help the community, and still have fun. This is very beneficial to students who need their volunteer hours for A+ or KickapooU.

If you like working with children, there are tons of summer camps that are taking volunteers. The Salvation Army summer day camp has a Counselor In Training (CIT) program available for students ages 14-18. At this day camp, volunteers would help out with field trips, swimming, sports, and games to keep the kids entertained. This summer camp begins May 28 and ends August 15.

Another really good summer camp to volunteer at is SPARC (Schools Parks Are Reaching Communities). SPARC summer camp works with ages 5-12, they go on field trips, they have dress up days, and play a lot of games and sports. Their CIT program is for volunteers 13-15 years old so this would be a great opportunity for freshman and sophomore students to participate in. However, to volunteer students have to pay thirty dollars a week to help fund the program.

If you’re looking to help out your community, Convoy of Hope is always accepting volunteers. Students ages 13-17 can participate after they fill out a safety form signed by a parent or legal guardian. Students can volunteer to help out with an event or help build hygiene kits at the warehouse. Students can also go to their website to see their times and dates and/or if they would like to schedule a group to help out.

If you’re interested in the theater department, Springfield Little Theater is a volunteer-driven organization, there’s multiple things students can help out with like construction of sets, backstage crew, flys, costume design, and helping out with the front of house on show days. There are no age requirements or skill requirements so this is perfect for anyone wanting to join our school’s theater department.

The Wonders of Wildlife Aquarium and Museum is accepting High School volunteers ages 16-18. Volunteers will interact with guests, help out with the touch centers, public speaking, and learn about conservation and the animals. Wonders of Wildlife also offers a  job shadowing program. This program looks really good on a resume whether it’s volunteering or job shadowing.

If these places didn’t spark your interest, there are more opportunities out there like volunteering at your church, Vacation Bible School camps are coming up and so are summer church camps, looking out for ways to help your environment like planting trees or picking up litter, volunteering at homeless shelters, Springfield Park Board is always offering volunteer opportunities, girl scouts and boy scouts.

Volunteer hours always look great on a college application and can help build a resume. They show your skills, help you gain resources and connections, and help you get a feel for what you like doing or don’t like doing which can put you on a well-set career path.