Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Leave Sooner or Start Later?

Why we should change late start Wednesday to early release Friday.
Photo by Ryan Roberson
Early morning in a local Springfield residence, enjoying the morning sun with the extra time before school on Wednesday.

Many students have debated if a late start on Wednesday is better or an early release on Friday is better. Here’s why early release on Friday is the better option.

Starting with the students, many athletic students have to leave during third block, meaning that they miss a lot of class time. With football game day usually falling on Friday, an early release would shift the schedule enough to mean they miss less class time. This would allow for them to study more while participating in extracurricular activities like sports or clubs.

Additionally, with Chief Time provided in school, the extra time of students being released early can be used to spend more time over the weekend relaxing and recovering, spending more time with family and friends. I know I would much prefer the ability to be able to leave earlier on Fridays so I can spend more time with my family on weekends and relax after a long week of working.

The point of Wednesday late start is for teacher Professional Learning. Teacher Professional Learning is where teachers meet with their departments to work on developing and improving methods of teaching. But with a late start in the middle of the week, staff only have the previous two days as reference. With an early release on Friday, the teachers could prepare for a new method to be used on the Monday of the following week. instead of the middle of the week.

With the benefits of better training for teachers, it helps students as well. Because of better-trained teachers, students have higher quality lessons that can go further in-depth on the topic, better helping students to learn and engage with the topic.

The best teachers I’ve had always had engaging lessons that kept me engaged with the topic and kept me curious about it too. Those classes were some of my personal best classes because they had good training, and tested their methods.

Additionally, the after-school janitorial staff will have more time to clean the school while students aren’t there. This will help the staff to be able to clean more in-depth before it gets dark and their shift ends. With the prior black mold problems the school had in 2016, the additional janitorial time could be highly beneficial.

With the added student academic, student safety, and staff educational benefits, it is a no-brainer that we should release early on Friday.