Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Parking Lot Palooza

The parking lot insanity can and should be stopped with a few different ideas that could change the game completely.
Photo by Jackson Hill
Every year the parking lot is filled with craziness on the first week with everyone clawing for a spot. However this could easily be avoided if we changed some things up.

Every year there is an extremely long line of people hoping to get a spot near their friends. Not only that but it also takes away from class time.

As students, we shouldn’t waste class time to get the parking spots we want. We should be able to do it in an easy and timely manner.

However, I think there is a more beneficial way to go about this. If we had the ability to reserve our spots before school starts, that would allow us to stay in class and pick what spots we want without the stress of standing in line knowing you’re missing something.

Not only that, but people book it downstairs just in hopes of getting a parking spot that is a little closer to the school than anyone else’s. It doesn’t make sense to cause that much of a scene and distraction for a parking spot.

There are, in my opinion, a few options for what we can do about this problem. The first being, going in person to wait in line over the summer to get your parking pass. This way we won’t have to waste class time but maybe an hour of your entire summer.

The other solution I can see happening is an online form. This way we could fill out a short form which will take even less time. 

Students would be able to pick what section they would like to park in and then from there they don’t have to do anything else other than pick up their tag.

My favorite option however is to have an online version of placing the tape where you want to park. It’s like seat geek but for parking spots.  This would be ideal because you can pick exactly where you would like to park with your friends without someone taking your spot or you taking theirs.

The final options could be separating the days we allow people to pick their spots. Seniors could be Monday, juniors Tuesday and Wednesday, and sophomores and freshman can be Thursday. This would be the first week of school so the craziness won’t happen for too long. 

The options are endless and I feel like we need to change the way we do parking passes. Not only for the convenience but so the first few weeks run more smoothly.

As it is now there are a few weeks at the beginning of the year where nobody has a spot and it is chaos. These ideas could limit the chaos and would honestly be less dangerous.