Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

Kickapoo High Quarterly

KHQ TODAY

10 Things I Will (& Won’t) Miss About Our School

With the end of the year drawing near, and the end of high school drawing even nearer for seniors, it’s time to reminisce on the things that I will (and won’t) miss about our school.
For many, football games will be the most missed aspect of high school.

My time at our school has come to an end, and here I will be bittersweetly reminiscing on the things I will (and won’t) be missing about our school. So without further ado, here are 10 Things I Will & Won’t Miss About Our School.

Won’t Miss:

Getting yelled at by the librarians for using the library

I thought that the library was a place of peace and happiness, and would be a decent place to work on schoolwork. Unfortunately, contrary to the belief that libraries are quiet places, I am often met with the yelling from the librarians telling me to leave, because I am not supposed to be there, I guess?

The ancient elevator by the commons

In reality, this could probably be in the “will miss” category, all because it is an adventure every time I use it. It really feels unknown whether I will survive the trip up or down. But then again, for that reason, I am ready to say goodbye to this torture box for good.

The way the science wing looks more like a hospital wing

When I walk through the hospital- I mean science wing, I feel like I am about to visit a sick family member that is about to die. It feels far too sterile, far too bland, far too bright, and far too white. It doesn’t help that it is almost always deserted of life. Also, I hate science and am still salty about my grade in my first quarter of my chemistry class.

The crowded hallways at 3:10

As soon as I walk out of fourth block, every sense in my body is overwhelmed. I am met with a smell of BO and overbearing perfume, which sends me into a headache. Additionally, I am trying not to step on people’s heels while simultaneously trying to make sure mine aren’t stepped on either. This is arguably the worst part of my day, and I will not miss this.

Teachers patrolling the hallways like watchdogs when they are supposed to be teaching

I will not name names, although I have a specific person in mind, but I cannot stand certain teachers taking it upon themselves to abandon their own classroom just to yell at random students passing by. I know it’s part of a teacher’s job to maintain order, but leaving your classroom full of students causes a disruption of order in and of itself.

Now that I’ve got the negative things out of the way, I am ready to talk about the positive aspects of our school that I will actually miss.

Will Miss:

Greeting the secretaries in the attendance office when I walk into school every day

Contrary to some areas of our school, our secretaries in the attendance office are always kind and welcoming. The simple “good morning” and “have a good day” I am met with always make my day and instantly boost my mood. Usually secretaries are known for being a bit irritable, (which does still apply sometimes), but I am always met with kindness and common courtesy from our attendance secretaries.

Forgetting it is late start Wednesday and having time to get food before school

I used to think that forgetting it was late start and not being able to get the extra sleep I wanted was annoying, until I realized that it gave me ample time to get breakfast and coffee from somewhere. Sometimes, I even purposefully forget it is late start Wednesday and just wake up early to get food.

Awkwardly saying the pledge of allegiance

I always find it amusing when it is time to rise to our feet and awkwardly stand there for 15 seconds saying the pledge. Most people find awkward situations uncomfortable, as do I, but what I really find funny is the sitters. Must be way more awkward for them. I find it really disheartening that several students can’t give 15 seconds of awkwardness to respect the country that has given so much to them, even if they don’t think it has. You feel oppressed? Go move to China. Then you’ll know what oppression feels like.

The Atmosphere

Say what you will about Kickapoo’s atmosphere, but comparatively, we have it great. To say this concisely, we aren’t a bad school. I am very appreciative that I go here, and not to another school in an unfortunate area. I think people need to be more thankful that we don’t deal with gang violence every day.

Room 201

I’m going to miss the place that gives me the opportunity to use my voice. Room 201 has given so much to me, and I will never forget my time here. But most of all, I’m going to miss the chaos I have caused through my “controversial” opinions that most other people share but are just too afraid to speak up.

So there you have it, those are the 10 Things I Will and Won’t Miss About Our School. I hope that you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it.